Widening/reconstruction of Approximately 39 km of Highway 401 (Addition of One Lane in the Median in Each Direction) and Construction of a Concrete Median Barrier
Preliminary Design and Initiate Detail Design Group C Class EA
This Group Work Project includes the widening of Highway 401 (addition of one lane in the median in each direction) from the Chatham-Kent/Elgin County Boundary to 2.0 km west of Union Road. In addition, median concrete tall wall barrier and a storm sewer system will be installed throughout the limits. Associated drainage, bridge, and culvert improvements will also be undertaken to facilitate the highway widening, including the widening/rehabilitation of Fleming Creek Bridge, replacement of six structural culverts, and extension of 7 structural culverts.
Timing for construction is subject to funding and approvals.
Construction staging and traffic management will be confirmed during the design process. Temporary lane and interchange ramp closures will be required to facilitate construction of the proposed improvements.
Existing median emergency turn-arounds will not be available during or after construction, as the concrete median barrier will be installed. Advance notice of closures (lane, ramp, etc.) will be distributed to local municipalities and emergency service providers.
Motorists and commercial haulers traveling through the study area may experience temporary delay or disruption during construction. Advanced signage of construction on Highway 401 will be provided.
- Project Initiation
- Field Investigations
- Class EA and Design
- Under Construction
- Construction Complete
Ongoing stakeholder consultation will take place throughout the Preliminary and Detail Design and Class EA Study process.
The Consultation Plan includes (dates subject to change):
- Notice of Study Commencement (Late November 2019)
- Consultation with regulatory agencies (Ongoing)
- Communication with Indigenous communities and Métis groups (Ongoing)
- Communication with directly affected property owners, residents, and businesses in the study area (Ongoing)
- Meetings with agencies to discuss issues related to the project activities (Spring/Summer 2020)
- Preparation of an Environmental Screening Document (ESD) for MTO internal use (Autumn 2020)
- Ongoing opportunity to submit comments and feedback throughout design
Contact the project team to provide any comments you may have with respect to this GWP, or if you wish to be added to the study mailing list. Please provide your name, mailing address, and indicate if you prefer communication by email.