Widening/Reconstruction of Approximately 10 km of Highway 401 (Addition of One Lane on the Outside in Each Direction) and Underpass Improvements
TESR Review and Initiate Detail Design Group B Class EA
This Group Work Project includes the widening of Highway 401 (addition of one lane on the outside in each direction) from 1.0 km west of Highway 4 (Colonel Talbot Road) to Wellington Road. In addition, median concrete tall wall barrier and a storm sewer system will be installed. Associated drainage, bridge, and culvert improvements will also be undertaken to facilitate the highway widening, including the widening of Wonderland Road Overpass, and rehabilitation of Dingman Creek Culvert.
Timing for construction is subject to funding and approvals.
Construction staging and traffic management will be confirmed during the design process. Temporary lane and interchange ramp closures will be required to facilitate construction of the proposed improvements.
Advance notice of closures (lane, ramp, etc.) will be distributed to local municipalities and emergency service providers.
Motorists and commercial haulers traveling through the study area may experience temporary delay or disruption during construction. Advanced signing of construction on Highway 401 will be provided.
The design of the Highway 401/Highway 4 (Colonel Talbot Road) Interchange improvements, including the replacement of the Glanworth Drive Underpass, is being undertaken as a separate project by Dillon Consulting Limited.
- Project Initiation
- Field Investigations
- Class EA and Design
- Under Construction
- Construction Complete
Ongoing stakeholder consultation will take place throughout the Preliminary and Detail Design and Class EA Study process.
The Consultation Plan includes (dates subject to change):
- Notice of Study Commencement (Early November 2019)
- Consultation with regulatory agencies (Late November 2019)
- Communication with Indigenous communities and Métis groups (Ongoing)
- Communication with directly affected property owners, residents, and businesses in the study area (Ongoing)
- Meetings with agencies to discuss issues related to the project activities (Spring/Summer 2020)
- Notice of Public Information Centre (Winter 2019/Spring 2020)
- Public Information Centre (Spring 2020)
- Preparation of a Transportation Environmental Study Report (TESR) Addendum and 30-day public review, if required (Autumn 2020)
- Ongoing opportunity to submit comments and feedback throughout design
Click here to review the previous TESR.
Contact the project team to provide any comments you may have with respect to this GWP, or if you wish to be added to the study mailing list. Please provide your name, mailing address, and indicate if you prefer communication by email.